- Wylde Swan 12th to 14th July
- Rona 2 12th to 13th July
- Tomidi 12th to 13th July
Subject to change and weather
|Contact Name||Stephen Scally|
|Telephone||+44 (0) 1586 552 552|
Popularly known as ‘The Wee Toon’, Campbeltown is the largest settlement in Kintyre with a population of about 5,500.
Founded in the early 1600s the town became a Royal Burgh in 1700 and went on to become a prosperous, bustling fishing port with a well sheltered harbour, a centre for coastal shipping, boat building, coal mining and whisky distilling.
Campbeltown is the centre for local services with a good range of shops, two small supermarkets, hospital, plentiful accommodation, a museum, heritage centre and the oldest operating cinema in the country.
The farm land in South Kintyre is fertile with substantial dairy farms. The milk goes to the local creamery to produce the award winning Campbeltown Cheddar Cheese.
Close to Campbeltown, on the Atlantic side of the peninsula, is Machrihanish, a small village with a famous golf course. The first hole at Machrihanish was recently voted, ‘the best first hole in the world’, by top PGA golfers. The course is very challenging and is becoming increasingly well known to overseas golfers, especially from the USA.
Distances in Nautical Miles - Greenock 50 Lerwick 434
- Quay - Length 210m - Depth 5m
- Maximum draft/any restrictions 4.8m
- Tidal Range Spring 2.9m - Neap 1.9m
Further Port Information
Campbeltown – kicks off the party spirit
This large and bustling town with its sheltered harbour is set to welcome crews and visitors with a great programme of activities. Many of the town’s local attractions are throwing open their doors to the public and have a very special line up planned.
- Made in Campbeltown Sea - Exhibition (8 July – 5 August) – explore this wonderful sea-themed exhibition showcasing some of Campbeltown’s finest crafts
- Springbank distillery - take the opportunity to visit this wonderful working distillery and see the full production process under one roof.
- Campbeltown Museum – a fascinating exhibition which brings to life the history of the area and its people as well as some beautiful artworks.
- Heritage Trail – a knowledgeable tour guide will uncover the many stories and secrets of Campbeltown in this intriguing historic walk.
- Machrihanish Bird Observatory – this is a real treat for all ages promising superb bird watching and spectacular scenery.
- Exhilarating Fast Boat Tour - if you’re looking for a bit more action then why not take a thrilling trip with Mull of Kintyre Sea Tours to Campbeltown Loch? For the beady eyed you might get to see some of our friendly resident seals and dolphins.
- Machrihanish Dunes Golf - if golf is your thing, then head to the beautifully rugged 18-hole golf course for a world class sporting experience.
- Friendly sporting rivalry – featuring a Five-a-side football match and Tug of War between Famers and Sailors.
- RNLI Gala Day and Raft Race – a fun-filled day for all the family on Saturday 16, featuring many local stalls and entertainment. This will be a popular event for a very worthy cause.
For further information on events, please contact:
Tel: 01586 559048