Race 2 Postponed
Paul Bishop, Race Director, Sail Training International:
“After careful consideration, the race committee for The Tall Ships Races 2011 and the Lerwick Port Authority have jointly decided to postpone the start of Race Two from Lerwick to Stavanger for 24 hours.
“We have been monitoring the weather reports closely and there is a complex low near Denmark which will maintain strong northerly winds through the North and Norwegian Seas as a weak ridge remains to the west of the country. The low will only slowly fill during the following days as winds slowly ease with the ridge remaining to the west of the UK.
“The fleet can all withstand such tough weather conditions but in the interest of enjoyment in addition to safety, we don’t feel it necessary to make a challenging race any more challenging for our trainees and crews.
“The undocking of the fleet will begin at 1100 on Monday 25 July, followed by the Parade of Sail with Race Two starting at 1700.”
Fiona Dally, project manager of The Tall Ships Races 2011 – Lerwick, said: “All of our crew facilities located throughout the waterfront will continue to be available free to access for the next 24 hours.
“In addition, with the cooperation of our key partners, we have extended the public entertainment programme across all three venues; live music at Holmsgarth till 11.45pm, full DJ set at Club Marquee from 9pm till 1.30am at Laurenson Quay and extended music programme at Victoria Pier until 11.
”I’d also like to thank the Liaison Officers who have made themselves available to extend their assistance to the Tall Ships until their departure.”
Lerwick Harbourmaster Captain Calum Grains said “In partnership with Sail Training International, altering the departure by 24-hours is not a problem for us at the port, and we’re happy to be able to assist the fleet. Commercially, the fishmarket at Lerwick will not operate on Monday but Scalloway market is available and continue to deliver normal business operations.”